We have put together a bunch of our favourite travel tips and tricks when dealing with ‘plane food’ because sometimes you don’t get enough (athletes tend to eat more than normal population) or you don’t like the option your given or the food just does not look appealing and you’d rather eat some more shall we say nutritious and wholesome (i.e. not a microwave meal with overcooked veggies, stale bread, chemical laden and over processed foods) Plus as we are both heading away next week to Europe for a while so though it was perfect timing!!
1. Take a container of homemade meusli (can easily pack in a zip lock bag or container to throw away)
2. Take plain oats and ask for some hot water to make your own porridge. Even add the jam, peanut butter or honey your given with your plane food breakfast to add some flavour
LUNCH & DINNER
3. Make & take your own and pack in air tight containers for the trip once you’ve eaten you can through them out too creating more baggage space. Some idea’s could include;
- Quinoa Salads with leafy greens, lemon juice + olive oil, capsicum, tomato, avocado
- Hard boiled eggs to add for protein to meals
- Roast veggie salads
- Any type of green salad, carrots, cucumber, cheeses, nuts, seeds, dressing
4. Fruits!!! Apples, berries, oranges, bananas (although they squash easily in your carry on bag), mandarins, pears, fresh dates.
5. Nuts & mixes. take a zip lock bag with one type of nut or a variety can even add in coconut, dried fruits, seeds and spices. Almonds, Brazil, cashew, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cinnamon, real sea salt, coconut chips or flakes, cranberries, raisins, apple, banana chips, dates
6. Bliss balls & protein balls make some snack size balls to take with you on the plane and snack on them when you get hungry or want that sweet treat or chocolate hit with a pure cacao bliss ball or blueberry protein balls
Bonus tip! Check out our range of yummy slices, bars and baked goodies as well for some great snack ideas to take with you, simply wrap in glad wrap, or a zip lock bag even small containers that you can dispose of once finished. Only problem is what you make now…. 😉
FLUIDS & HYDRATION
7. Take one or two large, I mean 1 litre + drink bottle on the plane and just keep drinking. As planes are very dehydrating and dry on our bodies due to constant air conditioning. Ask for refills.
Bonus Tip – Drink herbal tea, like green tea for its detoxifying properties. Plus it varies it up from having plain water.
Do not take LIQUIDS! Megs found out the hard way and had to scull yogurt before going through customs haha!
LiquIds include anything that has mls written as the packaging measurement
Eg. water, milk, yoghurt, smoothies,
Hope this was helpful and you got some useful ideas for travelling aboard 🙂 Let us know wht your travel tips are when it comes to plane food and preparing your own.
Megs and Soph x